JOB DESCRIPTION - SOFTWARE ENGINEER INTERN - TOOLING
ABOUT TECH DNA
Tech DNA is an elite technology consulting firm that provides technical due diligence assessments for mergers, acquisitions, and investment deals. Our team is made up of former CTOs, data scientists, academics, privacy lawyers and major technology corporation executives with decades of experience in their fields. We are hired by Fortune 100 firms and investment funds to evaluate the core value of complex tech products across a variety of fields including education, aerospace, finance, and web services. Tech DNA has been in business since 2009.
A Software Engineer Intern - Tooling at Tech DNA develops tools to automate common operational processes, such as reconciling data between various internal systems; scraping and parsing cybersecurity audit log data into usable threat analysis; and helping build internal linting tooling for speed and consistency.
The Software Engineer Intern will assume responsibility for one to three software development projects over the course of the internship, depending on interest, skill, and internship length. The Intern will first learn and understand key parts of Tech DNA’s internal business processes, then work with the Internship Manager to identify the projects to be implemented during the internship.
During their time with Tech DNA, the Intern will be exposed to the inner workings of a high functioning professional services technology firm and will have opportunities to meet experts in a variety of technical fields. The Intern will gain experience in business operations and process automation while learning how such a firm operates. This includes how our accounting systems work, how we track and disseminate internal knowledge among team members, and how we gain visibility over our security posture as an organization.
Location: Tech DNA is an entirely remote company; you may work from wherever you live, provided you have a secure and reliable internet connection and a Mac or Windows computer.
Schedule: 15 - 25 hours per week, depending on Intern’s interest and availability. Hours will be based around the Pacific Time Zone, with flexibility depending on Intern’s location.
Start Date: 6/15/22 (negotiable).
Internship Length: 8-20 weeks depending on interest and availability.
Compensation: Tech DNA will provide the intern with a stipend based on the length of the internship, commensurate with the intern’s prior experience. The stipend will start at $2,200 for an 8-week internship or $5,600 for a 20-week internship.
Business Operations and Security Process Automation
- Working with your Internship Manager, identify one or two projects that you can own and deliver by the end of the internship. Delivery means functional, performant code that handles all cases, is testable and well documented.
- Write a high-level functional specification for the tool – what it does, what it doesn’t do, and how it will work.
- Research appropriate technologies for implementing the tool. Review options with your Internship Manager and together select the most appropriate technologies and approach.
- Rapidly develop a “minimal viable product" (MVP) for internal review that proves the viability of the approach and gives an opportunity for feedback from others at Tech DNA.
- Build on the MVP with weekly updates, including tests and appropriate technical documentation.
- Continuously consider and propose new approaches / processes / systems as appropriate.
- Upon completion of the internship, present your project to the Tech DNA team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with utilizing REST APIs to gather and manipulate data across web services
- Familiarity with using Git for source control management during the software development process
- Familiarity with the Google Workspace and the Google Cloud ecosystem, as well as Google Apps Script, is desirable.
- Ability and desire to comply with the high organizational security requirements at Tech DNA
- Ability to understand core requirements of a project and take initiative to make progress autonomously in line with project goals
- Must be able to pass a background check
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resumé and cover letter detailing your interest and why you would be a good fit for this position as a single PDF to [email protected]
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Tech DNA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal opportunities for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, ancestry, genetic information, use of a service animal, military status, political ideology, personal appearance, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Each applicant is evaluated based on their aptitude for the position. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected]
“Tech DNA is very technically deep, but they do it in a way that doesn’t over compensate for people that are not as technically deep. They bridge that gap between what engineers say and executives need to hear.”
“Tech DNA consultants simply have a more substantial technical and M&A experience than the competition. They’re just really clear and concise about a technology company’s strengths and weaknesses.”
“One of the biggest benefits of working with Tech DNA is their ability to determine what the real focus should be. They just know how technology affects a business and exactly what to look for. They understand the ‘So What?’ of technology.”